Request for comments about login process

Dear Planet Waves Reader:

For the past few weeks, we’ve been requiring registered login for this blog. I’ve also been working with our software engineer to resolve certain problems related to this process that readers have reported.

That's me, to the left.

That’s me, to the left.

There are two, mainly.

One is that when you first login, you’re now supposed to be taken to your point of origin
(i.e., the article from which you logged in). If not, you’re supposed to be taken to a welcome page. When you log in, where are you taken?

The second is what’s called the blocked content issue. This involves a registered user not being able to access protected content even when logged in. This is a frustrating issue — I was the first user to report it. But we’re not sure whether we’re dealing with one issue here, or with several different ones.

I am interested in a few things — one being the details of how and when this happened, and the other being the response of our tech support team. Was the issue resolved, and how was it resolved? Please provide some details including what kind of system, device and browser you are using. We know there is a pattern, but I want some confirmation.

Please respond in the comment area below, and/or send your comments to tech@planetwaves.net.

Thank you kindly.

Eric Francis

Eric Francis

About Eric Francis

Planet Waves began in 1998 as the home of the Eric Francis horoscope, a prominent feature in our premium service. Going far beyond what most Sun-sign astrologers even dream is possible, Eric brings in-depth interpretations to his work. He is a pioneer in the newly-discovered planets, including Chiron and the centaurs, and is able to translate their movements into accessible human terms, offering ideas for life, love and work. Discover a whole new world of literary journalism in Planet Waves. We offer free trial subscriptions, discounts for students and seniors, and gift subscriptions for veterans and those on active military duty.
This entry was posted in Technology. Bookmark the permalink.

33 Responses to Request for comments about login process

1. kate kate says:

Breaking News: Now when I sign in, I don’t go to that welcome page, I come to the blog, which is much, much better. However, bizarrely it takes me to the page before the one I was on.

For example, I was on Sarah’s post, signed into make a comment, and it took me straight to the page with the Eco Newsletter. So I had to find my way back to her post. Thought you’d like to know.

2. hecate says:

One thing more,if you do not mind.
    When logging in as requested,the login page has a box to check to ‘remember me’ which it never does.
    Is it supposed to function at some point in the future?
    If not,might remove it since it serves no purpose….at least not from an iPad!!

3. carecare7 says:

I just logged in to continue reading and it took me to the Welcome page instead of to the article I was reading.

4. pam says:

logging in I’m taken to the wordpress page too, then I go to home and then to whichever article I’m reading

5. This may be in the more than you wanted to know category, but I’ve noticed for several months that the jump from a “continued” or “read more” thing usually misses by one up to several lines from where it’s supposed to land. Could be a Chrome thing now that I think about it.

6. jinspace says:

Oops – forgot to say I’m using Firefox, Windows xp & a Samsung laptop. Also, that sometimes when I log in I’m directed to the wordpress admin page.

7. jinspace says:

On logging in, I’m taken not to the article I was reading, but to the home page.

8. Eric Francis Eric Francis says:

I understand. The script is supposed to take you back to your point of origin. What is puzzling is all the different results we are getting. Nick will read this thread and resolve the issue. Thanks everyone.

9. From this “Request for comments…” page I logged out at top right of page. What came up was the blog logon. I manually went to planetwaves.net; this “Request for comments…” page appeared. I scrolled down to Blair’s article, where the “To continue you must be a registered user” message. When I click hypertext “here” for already registered users I get the blog logon. Entering from that logon I’m transported to the welcome page (http://planetwaves.net/news/welcome-to-planet-waves/). Then I clicked “VISIT THIS LINK” which got me back to the top of the “Request for comments…” page. Blair’s article was there, but I had to scroll down for it. That is, no big deal but the process didn’t take me back to precisely where I was. 24″ early 2009 iMac running OS 10.9.5 and Chrome 36.0.1985.143

10. tgarton says:

I was having a lot of problems with the login requirement first started, but Chelsea and Anatoly helped me out. When it finally started working, the login process would first take me to the word press page, and I would have to click to go back to the planet waves. Now, the login process takes me back to the main planet waves page, not to the article I was reading. A minor annoyance, but workable. It happens both with IE, and Firefox.

11. Eric Francis Eric Francis says:

Lucky, I have seen this issue. It may be related to Sitemeter. That is a program that tracks visits and hits to websites. It’s not supposed to deliver any “content” to the user. I will check Anatoly. If it is, we have a puzzle, because years of our traffic (back to the start of this blog) are recorded there. We may be able to download the data.

12. luckydriver luckydriver says:

I am using Google Chrome, Windows 7, and a laptop (sometimes a desktop). I used to get taken to the WordPress dashboard when logging in, but now I get taken either to the article I was reading or to the welcome page. It seems pretty random.

I have another issue going on that has been really weird, and it has been happening for a few months now. At first, I thought my laptop had a virus, but this issue has cropped up on other machines in other places as well. Occasionally when I come to the website, I am actually redirected to an advertisement screen! An entirely new page opens up with an ad, usually with a video playing for some TV show or just a product. It happens randomly, and it used to occur more frequently than it does now. Sometimes it opens up when I click on the comments link, and sometimes it opens up just when I open up the website. Today, I copied the address of the page when it opened, and I will paste it below. If you try to get to that address though, you will get a blank screen. Sorry for such a long comment, but I did not know how else to notify you. Here is the address I get on the ad page:

13. Eric Francis Eric Francis says:

Ok that welcome page is supposed to be the default if someone logs in from a place other than “Log In To Continue Reading This Bit.” So that worked for you. If someone logs in from content they are supposed to be taken to the content. The plugin didn’t start that way — it’s a recently applied modification. Thanks for that info. Let’s keep these coming!

14. If I log out, which I did for testing purposes, I use my older “blog ID” and rather than getting me to this comment section, it takes me to http://planetwaves.net/news/welcome-to-planet-waves/. From there I can take the hypertext VISIT THIS LINK and get here with comments showing as well as a reply window. This is 24″ iMac (early 2009) running OS 10.9.4 using Chrome 36.0.1985.143 the latest available.

15. Eric Francis Eric Francis says:

Ok so what is interesting is that there are so many permutations. Please keep these comments coming. Our software engineer will be going over this Monday and we will straighten it out. Thank you everyone.

ef

16. Sharon says:

After logging in, both on my computer (Windows Vista, IE9) and on ipad (Safari), it takes me back to the Home page so I then have to scroll down the page again to the article I was reading.

17. Eric Francis Anatoly chimes in says:

As I can see no more REAL blocked content issue. (real mean that I/m registered and logged in user and got a generated page with text “you cant access link (page/post)”.

Main user complain is:

I read the post (free part) than I registered and logged in but I redirected to the welcome post not to the rest of the article.

18. I was on the Daily Astrology page, reading Judith Gayle, and followed the link for registered users to this welcome page:
    then had to follow that link and scroll down the page to get back to Judith Gayle.

19. Patty says:

It never takes me back to the article I was trying to read. If you would install a “new member” link it might be helpful, so the old members can be taken back to the article. Maybe you need three links – member, regular visitor, guest.

20. rabbity divergence rabbity divergence says:

On an ipad i go to planetwaves.net/news after logging in and then can see the rest of article once i click through.

Once i seemed to be blocked but a reboot of ipad fixed it. Thanks for clarifying bc for a second i thought i was blocked!?!

21. Susan Danton says:

Ditto on Kate: “get to wordpress password box, then when in don’t get to article, instead get to welcome page, then need to click home, then again on the article.” Home is the little house icon at the top right. I haven’t been required to login for a couple of weeks to date, so the information must now be saved somewhere.

22. kate kate says:

From Firefox, and from Ipad (safari): get to wordpress password box, then when in don’t get to article, instead get to welcome page, then need to click home, then again on the article.

23. Jaye Bruce says:

On second thought, please skip the latter part of my previous message re the Member login. I realize that I have confused being registered with being a Member.
    –Jaye

24. Jaye Bruce says:

I use Windows and Firefox. When I log in using the link within the article (to continue reading), I am sent to a WordPress login, and from there to a Welcome to Planet Waves News page. I have figured out that I need to click on “Home” to return to the article. Just for fun, I logged out and tried the Member Login link on the right margin. This led to a Planet Waves login page with a sea gull. I tried three times to log in there but was told I had provided an incorrect password, which is possible (er, it is Sat. a.m.), but not that likely.

Good luck!

25. opps… forgot to add: PC, Win 7, Firefox 31.0

26. I sometimes get taken to the WordPress dashboard and sometimes to the article I want to read. But the issue may be of my own creation because of my very stringent browser settings.

27. SarahJo says:

Yes, sorry for the confusion.

The past week or so, including one minute ago, I have been taken to the welcome page. Prior I was being directed to a word press dashboard, that’s fixed now. I have never yet been taken to the article I was reading when I logged in.

29. Eric Francis Eric Francis says:

What do you mean the home page? You mean the front of the blog, here?

30. SarahJo says:

I was also taken to the Home page, not back to the article I was reading. I am not sure about all of the technical stuff but I use Windows 8 and my device is a HP laptop.

31. Kathy Hinckley says:

I never get back to the article I logged in from after logging in, only to the Welcome page, which is a pain. I’d almost rather see a login page first rather than be interrupted in reading to login, and then to navigate back to where I was reading. I confess that I’ve visited less often lately because of this.

32. Eric Francis Eric Francis says:

Right – that has been implemented…and I have reported the issue. Thanks Orion.

33. Orion B says:

When I log in, was taken to welcome page, but prefer to be taken to the article I was reading.