Of Love and the Eternal Triangle

By Sarah Taylor

This week, Sarah offers a personal insight into the nature of triangular relationships in her own life, and how it is shaping her relationship life today. This article was originally published as part of Planet Waves’ 2012 Annual Edition.

From the get-go, I was part of a love triangle. Not in the conventional sense of an entanglement of lovers, but it was an entanglement nonetheless. And the love itself was entangled.

Ace of Cups - RWS Tarot deck.

Ace of Cups from the Rider-Waite Smith Tarot deck. The Ace is love in potential and the greatest aspiration to the demonstration of love here on Earth.

I was born into an aristocratic family in north-west England in the early seventies. My father had unexpectedly inherited a ‘title’ from his uncle when he was 18 and living in Africa. The accounts of his life of that time that I managed to draw out of him were sketchy – much like the accounts I received of most of his life, which he avoided relating as much as possible; many of his memories seemed to be imbued with an indescribable amount of pain.

What I do know is that, upon inheriting, the form and content of my father’s life changed markedly and permanently. He went from being a country mouse, to a cat with a rep to protect; he went from bare-back horse-rides to school from his uncle’s farm, to trust funds, fast cars and a fast life. He had been married four times by the time he met my mother, as a VIP passenger on an ocean liner where she worked in the purser’s office. The story goes that he was trying to extricate himself from a tricky situation, homed in on my mother and asked her to be his alibi. My mother has often said that she was swept up in the romance of who he seemed to be. She also said that she felt a deep need to protect him. I think in that moment the contract of my parents’ relationship was sealed.

And so, like all self-respecting aristocrats, after marrying my mother, the next thing on the agenda was to produce an heir. Specifically, a son – daughters did not, and continue not to, inherit titles in the UK. In my mother’s words, she chose to give up her independence as a professional woman – which defined much of who she said she felt herself to be – and become “a baby machine.” She was a mother, but she was not maternal. As much as she loved my father, she had been seduced by the trappings that came with my father’s title, and those trappings started to feel restrictive. There was another part of her dying to live another life. The more it called, the more she threw herself at the trappings, the more trapped she became, the more it died. My father wasn’t killing her: Her choices were doing that all by themselves.

Sarah Taylor

About Sarah Taylor

Sarah is now taking applications for her online tarot training - a five-week course starting in the fall. Find out more on her website: www.integratedtarot.com/services
This entry was posted in Reading Tarot. Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Of Love and the Eternal Triangle

1. Lunesoleil says:

Hello Sarah ,

33 Years of age corresponds to the cycle of the Sun also announced a new round of experience
    As an extension of your story, I am asked the question why this choice of Cup ACE? the Cup is synonymous with separation, cutting, separating those who love or do more…. love this blade of the tarot is usually beneficial. One can also think of champagne cups, to the winner after the car receives a Cup. The anagram of Cup we reference to contrary definitions between cut to those who love and to cut, separate…. I had never thinking has this level of understanding…
    Good weekend of full moon :)

2. Carrie says:

“I can only speak for myself when I say that polyamory has been a red herring for me. Actually, rather more than that: it was just another convenient way of avoiding intimacy, albeit with a more sophisticated layer of obfuscation.”

Thank you so much, Sarah, for being this honest.

3. Amanda Moreno amandaspiral says:

“Is polyamory a logical step in a string of eternal triangles that started from birth? If so, do I want to change the pattern, or do I want to make it mine? I’m still working that one out.”

Oh my goodness…yes. The triangulation theme has been so very present in my life, and though the details of YOUR life are different from mine, of course, I don’t think the timing on this second printing could have possibly been better. I’ve gone into polyamory knowing full well that it is in essence (for me, at least) a very visceral reworking of a totally entrenched pattern. But there is something there about conscious re-working of these patterns. For me, the journey has very much become about relentlessly keeping myself at the center of the equation, knowing that that is not an inflated or egotistical requirement, but a very implicit part of my soul’s intent for this lifetime – I know that I have lifetimes of losing myself in relationship, and though that does still sound absurdly romantic to me, I know it’s a script that needs revision. Polyamory allows me to do that, to focus on my relationship with myself above all, among other things. It also allows me to keep my heart open to any and all relationships that need develop to teach me something, no matter what the timing.

I realize that this might also just be another way for my Aquarian tendencies to dissociate more, and I keep that awareness close. But…well…just…thanks so much for sharing. Truly.

4. Sarah Taylor Sarah Taylor says:

Indrani – I have always felt an affinity with India (although I’ve never been there), and the parallels with your story somehow make that more meaningful. My own family has distant ties to India – and I’m certain many of them were exploitative given the era in which those connections took place. There is a lot I am still called to investigate.

I am so glad for you that you found a way to voice your anger. Mine came out a lot when I was a child, and has started to be more productively channelled over the last 7 or 8 years or so. Here’s to drinking from that bitter cup and the transformations that can come of that, evidenced by the accompanying image today.

artshopluc – Sometimes there are no words; this is one of them. I am overwhelmed by what you have lived through and how you have shaped your experiences into the life you have today. Thank you for sharing your own struggle, insight and hope. Here’s to floating on the sea and gazing at the clouds – a moment of beauty.

Brendan – I do feel that sense of a wonderful time, and I’m going to reach towards it.

And to everyone else, my deepest thanks. When are able to step back from our stories, it can be heartening to realise how much easier they are to relate – because at the foundation of that realisation is the accompanying understanding that they are not us, and we have the ability to choose differently.

5. J Sheridan says:

Yes! Wow, Sarah. It takes pretty compelling writing to keep my online attention these days, but I am a sucker for intelligence and bravery in autobiography and so could not stop reading until the end. Thank you for sharing your story. Your writing is beautiful … I look forward to hearing more. [{(*)}]

6. Brendan Brendan says:

Sarah – you wished me luck a few threads back, and now I can return the favor…THANK YOU for this! You have also grown during your posts here, getting deeper and more open, a true teacher of the tarot.

If your path in the year to come is like mine so far, you shall have a wonderful time in this cosmos.

7. Katie Vee says:

Wow, Sarah. Thank you for sharing. All my best thoughts to you.

8. Lea Burning River says:

Thank you, Sarah.
    Thank you.

9. artshopluc says:

” this year, I wish us freedom. Freedom from limiting beliefs, freedom to explore, discover and express who it is that we are. Most of all, I wish us freedom to love – ourselves and others – shamelessly, courageously, fully prepared to risk ourselves for it. Love liberated; love unentangled. That, to me, is an adventure worth living.”

Thank you Sarah for sharing your struggle, insight, and hope.

My own story is the opposite, in some ways. My mom gave birth to me and never would tell me who my father was/is. “Why should you get more out of him then I did?”
    For many adult years I tried so hard to make myself “good” enough, willing enough, mutable enough to bring me a lasting and loving relationship. Always trying really trying to be someone I wasn’t.
    Of course, what I got was abandonment. Often preceded with cruelty.
    My daughter died; she was murdered, (or so I presume, since she was naked in a cardboard box missing all her jewelry and I.D.). This lead to my own family blaming me. “None of this would have happened if you had raised her like a normal person.” My sister hasn’t spoken to me for years now. My mom I are barely communicate. Only if and when I phone, on holidays. I have a brother who lives an hour away and has never visited me, since his niece died.
    Finally all this pain kicked me so hard that I went into a women’s medicine circle and found a good therapist.
    Over time, much time, slow and internal, I found a simple truth: to just love myself. I found my artistic voice stronger, wiser, more insistent, more demanding and much less able to compromise. I found my voice.
    Now in the mirror i see great friends, a sense of community, a nice part-time lover, a fantastic four-legged companion, my art, my writing, and growth. I wake every day with my heart open. Sometimes (like now) I cry, simply because i got here and know how lucky I am to feel so rich with these blessings.
    I don’t want to rock the boat; I want to swim in the sea. I expect that I will see some of you, floating along within the same waves, doing the backstroke, gazing at the clouds while they pass by, forming and then dissolving back into the air.

10. PetitHibou72 PetitHibou72 says:

Alas, I love this post even more the second time around. And the timing is beautifully uncanny as usual. Such amazing writing, with such a fearless, empowering message. Love, love, love. Thank you, Sarah.

11. awordedgewise awordedgewise says:

Thank you Sarah. Your candor is inspiring as is your “poetry”, your verse, your story, and the strength of character your share merely by — sharing.

12. indranibe says:

Sarah, that’s amazing. My story is similar to yours, except it’s set in India, and both my parents were aristocrats (mother was “born in the purple” as they say) – from a long line of aristocrats on all sides. My Grandad – in the spirit of the times (India’s emancipation from Britain) decided to lump it all, he was going to bring his family up elsewehere – and although “elsewhere” was around the corner on a property owned by his family, it was a considerable departure from “form” and so not only were we aristocrats, but (depending on how one looked at it) either “bohemian” or “scandalous”!

As far as the nannies etc – I had them too – my parents constantly travelled when I was child (taking me with them – in fact I was born during their travels). My grandparents house however, was a remarkable place, but for some twisted reason, my mother would restrict access to that one source of love and stability that existed for me. When we eventually moved to Australia (by that time I also had a baby brother), that was it, my “world” ended, and I was stuck with these two people (both married off to each other young – and not very happily) who had no clue about how to raise children, (including themselves). I remember thinking during my teenage years that we were like “four strangers living under one roof”.

My mother – who’d I’d always known as being a deeply unhappy woman – and unable to express emotion beyond anger (and occasional “love” for my brother), killed herself when she was 36 – I was 18, my brother was 14. Dad got married within a year after her death. I myself, looking for a stable home, entered into a marriage soon after my mother died – and of course, my husband turned out to be a violent psychopath and so on and so forth and blah blah blah.

I spent most of my life suffering (unbeknowst to me) from post-traumatic stress disorder, until I came home from court one day (I work as a lawyer) and couldn’t get out of bed again – and then it was diagnosed (that was about a year and a half ago).

I spent 6 months in bed, reconnecting with everyone from my past and telling them my story. And bit by bit the anger came out – I finally had a place to put it – the rage and grief at my “abandonment” finally found the proper “audience”. Many of these people found me through facebook and they wanted to know what had happened to me – and so they let me talk. I ended my relationship with my brother (who I had raised in the absence of nannies), and then my father – in favour of my relationship with myself. And it’s that relationship that’s the most important one at the moment to me.

I’m very glad to hear (read!) your tale. I remember last time this year we were wishing Amanda a happy birthday – and you and I were talking about “drinking from the bitter cup”. Well I did just that, and it was bloody good medicine!

So, hang in there – healing is real.

Kind regards,

Indrani x

13. Carrie says:

“I liked the image of the women on the bulls, dancing with masculine energy instead of being killed by it.”

We have had women dancing with male energy since the Women’s Movement. Time for the sacred feminine to return and women to dance with feminine, nurturing, caring, compassionate, submission energy (submission to the life giving and nurturing force) again!

14. Sarah Taylor Sarah Taylor says:

Deb and Lyd – thank you for those moving words by Rumi and J L Sanders. Absolutely, yes. They speak strongly to me.

15. Sarah Taylor Sarah Taylor says:

Thank you, all of you.

I wrote this at the end of last year, at the start of a period that I have referred to as my “descent”: a time of falling into a necessary depression where I felt sacrificed at the altar of shame and where my sense of self-esteem was eclipsed. I think I had to lose those for a while to find out what had been there all along (much like the tarot reading last weekend, I realise now). In alchemy, I would say that I underwent a process of calcination. Never pretty. I have emerged more clear than I ever have been, though – and that clarification feels far from over.

I can only speak for myself when I say that polyamory has been a red herring for me. Actually, rather more than that: it was just another convenient way of avoiding intimacy, albeit with a more sophisticated layer of obfuscation. I am decidedly *not* saying this is the motivation for anyone else. Just mine. But Neale’s quote that I include in the article says it all. I made a choice: to try something out. The universe responded, “Okay, you want that? Now you can see if you really want that. What happens if you can’t conduct it at arm’s length? What happens if you get a glimpse of something else that is possible?” It woke me up to myself and it’s set me on a different path.

16. Deb Deb says:

I too have been on a similar journey and I love this quote by Rumi….”Gamble everything for love…or leave this gathering.” Words I am now living by.

17. Lyd says:

Sarah…such courage to share; many thanks.
    It’s been a day of receiving moving statements from a number of folks. This reminded me of something called Other Paths, by JL Sanders:

There must be other paths
    More winding, tangled
    Into sweet nothingness,
    Insignificant
    Sleeping hidden, overgrown,
    Darker, deeper
    Rock bound paths
    Misted and rain drenched,
    Where with one misstep,
    You might stumble,
    You might slip,
    If you are lucky,
    Into a real life.

18. Hugging Scorpio says:

That’s some brave stuff Sarah. Thank you for sharing this part of you. Good for you for working and continuing to work through it.
    HS

19. CaraSusanetta CaraSusanetta says:

Wow Sarah. I am so moved. And on top of that, in case you needed any one to second that emotion, I think you’ll find that here. AMEN SISTER!!!

20. paola paola says:

Sarah, what a courage to write your whole story here. Honor to you!

What is happening to women? I just listened to Donna Henes, in the conversation with Eric. Loved it!
    Thank you PW!