The Sum Of Its Parts

By Judith Gayle | Political Waves

Many an individual has turned from the mean, personal, acquisitive point of view to one that sees society as a whole and works for its benefit. If there has been such a change in one person, there can be the same change in many.

–Mahatma Gandhi

I slept restlessly on Thursday night as welcome but dangerous thunder storms moved through the Pea Patch. Each time I opened my eyes to peek at the clock, I heard the same phrase echo in my mind: Si, su pueda. Yes, we can — words that have no doubt struck terror into the hearts of countless Republicans yet again, and for damned good reason.

Political Blog, News, Information, Astrological Perspective.

Shortly after Obama’s acceptance speech, I caught Karl Rove on FOX News holding up a white-board of hastily scribbled talking points and assuring the faithful that he couldn’t understand how ANYone could buy all the lies and misrepresentations of the ‘Democrat’ party, but even a casual observer could sense his anxiety, see the veins popping out on his forehead. He was working harder than a one-legged man in a tap-dancing contest.

It was not my intention to write a Dem bookend to last week’s Pub convention piece, but so much for that. Early in the week, I decided that most of you who were interested in an actual American future would be looking in on what the left had to say, given the gravitas of this election. I suspected, pre-convention, that I would enjoy it, simply because I am happily engaged when someone ‘speaks my language,’ and I’ve never watched a Dem convention that didn’t ring a few populist bells to keep the natives dancing. Reviewing the roster of speakers, I knew I would be moved, inspired and encouraged, and assumed that if you watched, dear reader, the experience of what is traditionally part propaganda, part pep rally would be self-defining. I lifted my eyes to heaven in hope that Obama would give us a glimpse of his progressivism rather than his pragmatism, turned my TV to C-SPAN and cleared the decks for three nights of political dialogue.

What I didn’t figure on was the collective emotional tug of liberal aspiration. We don’t hear it much, these days, but it used to be part of our self-definition as citizens. Not to put too fine a point on it, I heard the language of “we” again, inspiring stories of those who dream and accomplish not just for themselves, but for everyone else as well. I didn’t make it through the first night dry-eyed, and wept my way through the next two. Did the Pubs get that same emotional zap, hearing those who argued for more prosperity and the end of evil free-loaders who want to raid their piggy banks? Does the language of “me, me, me” move its listeners to tears of yearning and empathy, or does it encourage them to take up the blood-sport of eliminating those impeding their progress?

This entry was posted in by Judith Gayle. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to The Sum Of Its Parts

1. miaferoleto says:

I encourage anyone interested to read William Rivers Pitt’s article on Truthout.org about the two conventions. A real reality check.

2. miaferoleto says:

Thank you for your feedback Judith and for mentioning Bernie.

As a Vermonter I have met Bernie on several occations and am known in his office by name. It’s easy when there are only 600,000 people in the whole state.

The morning I first learned of the massive purchase of bullets by Homeland Security I was on the phone to Bernie’s office at 8 a.m. and had a lengthy conversation with his assistant Harper. Bernie, as you know, is a Progressive who caucuses with the Democrats. He is, in my opinion, the best we have in the US Senate and is a member of a third party. I am a registered Democrat but had Ron Paul been on the ticket I most likely would have voted for him. I, too, like Jill Stein and what is happening with the Green Party. It would be great to make room for other parties with the two we have. Competition is healthy.

We are accompanying each other on our journey here on planet Earth to hopefully support and encourage while growing spiritually ourselves. At what point do we reach the end of violence so consciousness can flower? At what point is there enough for everyone? At what point is technology that already exists released because it is the right thing to do rather than keep existing corporations and the elite content and refusing transition?

Another Nobel Prize winner, Harold Pinter, used his acceptance speech in 2005 to point a finger at America. It is a stunning indictment and a wake up call that we as Americans choose not to pay attention to. Take a look at the photos of human birth defects in Iraqi and Afghanistan children from the dirty bombs Bush and Obama have and continue to drop. As Americans we are morally responsible and karmically tied to the actions of those we elect. It is not a matter I can take lightly.

Would Barak Obama have been elected if his name was still Barry S. instead of Barak O.? It”s an interesting question and I suspect it has entered the minds of many at PW. It’s a big deal esoterically to change one’s name. And of course it ties in the whole Lord of the Rings trilogy in terms of dark and light.

For the past eleven years we have been bombarded with

O S A M A B I N L A D I N

And the antidote is:

O B A M A. B I D E N

The synchronicity cannot be overlooked. It is rather stunning.

I will not address the throwing of Bin Laden’s body overboard. We were not able to bring Bin Laden to justice and let him stand trial as we did with Saddam. Isn’t that what America is based on?

A N D J U S T I C E. F O R

A L L

Change will come, it has to. It will come person to person, community to community.

Television is a form of entertainment. So are books like TLOTR (which I love by the way.). Reality is what is happening as we grab up oil and opium in other peoples’ backyards. It is not pretty and magical thinking will not take it away. I am 56 years old and have experienced the entire enchilada. In looking reality squarely in the eye I have been able to find center.
    It was the biggest gift of my life.

3. Mary says:

Beautiful, Jude, thak you!

4. Judith Gayle Judith Gayle says:

Thanks for adding your voice today, miaferoleto. I too have little patience with commercials, which is why I prefer to watch politics on still-reliable and commercial-less C-SPAN (cable-satellite public affairs network.)

I was very pleased at the candor of John Lewis at the convention, although he caught Hell on the other side of his comments on racism from (even racially diverse) groups on the Right, insisting that the “race card” is anachronistic to these times — clearly not, from what I see. But then, the Pubs have never been comfortable with “nuance” … tracking bias from the overt-style we can’t miss to the less-obvious covert behaviors we endure today takes more patience and vision than they have (or want, whichever comes first.)

Rocky Anderson in an interesting candidate — and I very much like Dr. Jill Stein and Cheri Honkala from the Green Party, both given the spotlight by Moyers today. Here’s the link, in case you missed it:

My title this week — the sum of these many diverse and reality-shaking parts bombarding us on a daily basis — is akin to your comment, “the power of an idea whose time has come.” As be mentioned, it described the convention and I think it also describes these times we’re living in, newly-discovered truth’s and disillusionments awakening us to what no longer serves. Powerful and complex.

Ah, well — as dire as all this often seems, as much an epic battle as Brendan and Gary intuit it to be, as discouraging as it is that we have found no perfect leader that meets all of our ethical desires and political wishes, I most often find myself enlarging my perspective beyond the specifics of all that’s wrong, taking comfort in all that’s right.

As Ram Dass says, “We’re all just walking each other home.”

5. Judith Gayle Judith Gayle says:

In epic terms, it does still feel like The Ring’s the thing, Gary and Brendan — although we’re not as shocked now as we were when Dubby went after The Precious! That really was a blindside of a power grab we’re still digging out from. We’re not even close to that last big epic battle, but at least we know that we’re in a struggle between darkness and Light. That took decades to discover!

I’ve lost some friends too, GaryB, but even as that feels sad, it also feels like we’re lightening the load, somehow, looking to link arms. Life is not so vanilla as it used to be, I guess, and certainly it’s instructive to look around you and see who stands WITH you, as opposed to against you. Occasionally, we may find ourselves in the wrong line.

Thanks for lending me luck, Brendan — it served me well, assisting me to dodge all bad looks and hex-signs cast my way. There was only one verbal altercation this time, and I missed most of it, passing out Obama buttons and others that say, “When women vote, Democrats win!” All in all, we had a good deal MORE action at our booth than usual this year … I take that as an encouraging sign!

Thank you, be, for filling in the blanks for us. I enjoyed the Arroyo quote. A friend of mine went to him for a reading “back in the day,” we were both very impacted by his way of seeing astrology. That was when humanistic astrology was a mere fledgling, only recently hatched from the inflexible traditional interpretations, still a bit heretic. Sometimes I think that very awareness — how things move slowly but they DO DEPENDABLY MOVE — is one of the most important perspectives informing my attitudes. It takes a good bit of time on the planet to get that sense.

I really appreciate your thoughtful take on the “bigger picture,” be (and you always give me my Rudhyar fix!!) Interesting that Barack and Mitt so closely connect in Scorp — two sides of a coin, perhaps? And I love this bit of wisdom, regarding Mitt’s purpose: “… maybe he came to this planet to serve in another way.” Yes, yes. Seems to me that dim and grinning Mitt is our guru of moment, much as Dubby shook so many of us awake. Each of these shadow-side teachers give us opportunity not only to awaken to what does not serve us in pragmatic terms, but (if we’re watching our own response and process) give us fodder for spiritual and ethical growth.

For a long time Dubby was “the enemy,” now it’s Mitt although if we’re honest, the real danger is the mindless consumerism that is used to keep the masses sedated. That used to be religion; now it’s “stuff.” I find it difficult to think of Mitt in the hierarchy of the Dark Side … more likely a pawn from the ranks of the Dim Side. Still, we’re only just now noticing the holes in Establishment politics, squirming to make enough wiggle room for a genuine populist toe-hold. Clearly — to me, anyhow — our ability to find a platform for such wiggles and struggles is dependent on the outcome of this election. This isn’t a time for detours!

While Romney isn’t a pimple on Sauron’s ass, he is — and always will be — emblematic of the 1/2 of 1% that has slowly eroded government intended for and by the people for the last thirty years, lobbying it into self-enrichment and profit while creating the shameful process that left the bottom 60% of our citizens with less than 2% of the nations wealth. If George was the darling of the Neo-cons, then Mitt is the plaything of the privileged. Now that we’ve awakened to the dangers of American imperialism, I guess we need a good dose of predatory capitalism to turn us sour on this pecking order. As Bernie Sanders puts it, “Fraud is the business model for Wall Street,” and those money interests own all but the fringe elements of our democratic process. We cannot change that unless we have a process to do so … and if the Pubs win this election, major portions of that process disappear for another 4 years.

Speaking of Bernie, he was on Moyers today, telling truth and breathing fire, you can … and should … watch it here:

Hug hug hug to you dearhearts!

6. miaferoleto says:

Since I do not own a television and prefer to avoid the seduction of glamour associated with celebrity, I tend to read a speech rather than watch a person deliver one. Each letter contains energy and the assembly of letters into words have a vibration, tone and power. I suspect that since you are reading PW you are aware of that fact. I find the purity of the written word helpful and clearer for my intution to discern the true message.

In addition, I have no patience for commercials.

Four years ago Barak Obama received my unconditional support. I tuned in to his campaign on an almost hourly basis to send my thoughts and prayers in his direction. At this moment in time I am conflicted about the idea of voting for him. I cannot support the NDAA, the purchase of almost a billion bullets by Homeland Security, the increase in drone warfare and countless other activities our country is currently engaged in.

Marine Brandon Raub was taken by police and FBI from his home in handcuffs and no shirt because he posted on his Facebook page that he thought 9 – 11 was an inside job. If not for Veterans Today Senior Editor Gordon Duff and countless others Brandon would still be sitting in a psychiatric ward at a VA hospital. 6500 veterans are committing suicide each year. Where is our support for them?

Last weekend I went to see 2016: Obama’s America. I sat there chuckling because some of the key objections against Obama were things I approve of: anti-colonialism – we need to allow citizens of other countries to benefit from their own natural resources. Obama is in favor of reducing nuclear arms. So am I. He, however, won a Nobel Peace Prize which he might consider returning based on some of his activities. When recently interviewed in Ohio he would not confirm or deny the existence of his “kill list” written about on the front page of the NY Times.

Make no mistake. In no way am I supporting a candidate with off shore bank accounts who refuses to release his tax returns. But, is this the very best we have to offer?

Obama had a democratic majority his first two years in office and more than that, he had the good will of virtually the entire world. What has he done with it? Has he used it wisely?

For me the inclusion of John Lewis as a speaker was very moving. Although I read his speech I have watched him countless times in Eyes On the Prize: The History of Black America. Henry Hampton, the producer and creator of Eyes was a friend. His sister Veva was my oldest and closest friend who died of cancer in 2008 before she, as a Black woman, could see a Black man in the White House. Watching the actual documentary footage of the entire Civil Rights Movement is truly inspirational. Those times were certainly dark for millions of people but the Spirit was alive and well, flaming brightly.

It is a fact that Lyndon Johnson, certainly a member of the good ole boys white male club, did some surprisingly good things while in office fifty years ago, including signing the Civil Rights Bill. We have given over so very much to Barak Obama IN ADVANCE of seeing who he is and what he has accomplished. Why have we done that?

The power of an idea whose time had come.

It was time for America to elect a person of color. Bobby Kennedy predicted it forty years before it happened.

I have my own theory about Lyndon Johnson. He was surrounded by Martin Luther King, Jr. and Bobby Kennedy who each provided a voice of conscience for him and a constant prod to do better, to in fact do what was morally right. Keep in mind those were the days before the media glut that surrounds us today.Information was not at our fingertips. I suspect the media was more free then than it is now.

In addition, Johnson grew up on John Wayne and the ideal that being a man required certain strengths and held obligations. Who, in Obama’s life, plays the role of Martin Luther King or Bobby Kennedy? I see no one. Not Michelle whose powder blue nail color, for me, was an indication of something a bit too glamour-centric, too Hunger Games. I could not help noticing it in her photos on the Huffington Post.

Do we really need to accept the lesser of two evils when it is clear this structure is not working? I am not saying that either men are evil but it is clearly time for a change. Wealth and power corrupt. Nancy Pelosi made over sixty million dollars last year. How did that happen?

Recently I read Obama supporters are purchasing a 35 million dollar estate for the Obama family in Hawaii. They are selling their Chicago home and moving in January. Or so the article said. It seemed a bit excessive to me. But so is a garage with elevators.

The thing that reassures me somewhat is that the awareness is rising globally. People worldwide are learning how to cooperate and work together. Perhaps they and we will be our real hope and change. In the meantime, none of us can afford to take things at face value. We need to look beneath the surface, do our own research and SHARE what we learn with each other. Information is power and we need to use it again as we did in the 1960′s.

Personally, I like Rocky Anderson. There is no way he will win but I believe what I have read so far.

7. Brendan Brendan says:

Dang, GaryB, I hadn’t even read your post yet, and there you are going off on Bilbo and Frodo while I’m talking about Gandalf and Sauron. Hmmm, must be the lack of sleep last night…

8. Brendan Brendan says:

Good luck, Jude!

If you’re recharged, I’m recharged! I didn’t get to see any of it actually, but I read about each day in turn, and found myself buoyed each morning (after) by what was said and done. Now, victory.

For what it’s worth, this morning I found myself framing this election year as a Gandalf versus Sauron fight, where life as we know it hangs in the balance, and the world either lives or dies. It would not truly be the end if Romron won, but we really don’t want the Orcs back now, do we?

You are so inspiring Jude, and you too GaryB! She’s got the right stuff and should have been on the podium, mike open at the Dem convention, for sure.

The Sun may be in Virgo these days but instead of looking at the details alone, these times must be accounted for via the broad, sweeping outer planet vantage points and other galactic influences too. Not the least is the present (transiting) north node of the Moon at the 29th, 28th and soon the 27th degree of Scorpio, the sign of transformation. In our last Solar Eclipse on May 20th, the asteroid Goddess Juno was located at 29 Scorpio and retrograde. Juno represents the principle of Relatedness. President Obama has 28+ Scorpio on his natal chart’s midheaven, and with his repeated emphasis on WE, he and his speech on Thursday night manifested this principle in words and spirit.

Gov. Romney also is tied to this north node Scorpio transit as his natal Moon and Jupiter are at 27+ Scorpio. So why does he not relate? Possibly he has before and will again, but right now he supports a different message. The North node in Scorpio and Romney’s Moon-Jupiter are sextile the U.S. natal (Sibly) Pluto at 27+ Capricorn, a much easier aspect to comply with than is the square aspect to the U.S. Moon at 27+ Aquarius which challenges him. Not everyone hears that quiet voice, although maybe he came to this planet to serve in another way.

In Astrology, Karma & Transformation, Stephen Arroyo says “That the trans-Saturnian planets are the symbols of cosmic (or galactic) forces which impel (and, in actual experience, often expel) the individual to grow and to join his consciousness with greater, more comprehensive forces of life is revealed in numerouss ways”. In 2007 and much of 2008, including the U.S. election day, transiting Pluto hovered around the astrological degree occupied by the Galactic Center, known for its powerful higher dimensional inspiration and influences. A fairly recent move (Jan 2011) into the 27+ degree of Sagittarius was important because the GC spends OVER 70 YEARS in one degree. The symbol for this new degree is “An Old Bridge Over A Beautiful Stream Is Still In Constant Use”. The Keynote for this degree given in Dane Rudhyar’s book, An Astrological Mandala, is: “The enduring elements in a society which reveal its ability to significantly link the genius of its individuals to the everyday needs of the collectivity.” This symbol is manifesting throughout all our planet’s countries, but nowhere more so than in the U.S.

In the Solar Eclipse chart where Juno was at 29+ Scorpio, the eclipsed Sun was at 0+ Gemini, as was the midpoint between Pluto and Saturn. This eclipse remains powerful today and is activated by Neptune’s transit back to 0+ Pisces to square it. The Sabian symbol for the eclipse’ degree is “A Glass-Bottomed Boat Reveals Undersea Wonders” and Rudhyar refers to it as “A New Dimension of Reality”. This degree has been aspected many, many times since then by personal planets as well as the transiting south node and transiting Jupiter who symbolizes Understanding.

Your title Jude, “The Sum Of Its Parts” so perfectly describes the convention. It also reveals the value of the considerable help that the Universe is providing through unseen, and for the most part, unknown and unconscious energies being supplied to all sentient beings, including Earth herself. We are in it together and we are not alone.

10. GaryB says:

Judith,

You could have/should have given this as a speech at the convention as it surely would have eclipsed Bill’s homerun. Definitely a walk off homer!!!! I am leaving many a former friendship behind over this election and that is sad but as Michelle said of Barack “the Presidency didn’t change the man it revealed him” and so it is too of our moral fiber during these times.

Thank you for the great words of comfort in our slog. It is seemingly impossible to comprehend that this race is razor thin. You could not, in your wildest dreams, have created a party that has has offended so many. I feel like I am living in a Lord of the Rings Trilogy with three more years of the UR/PL square to go. You go Bilbo and Frodo. Maybe our 2016 candidates!

11. Judith Gayle Judith Gayle says:

According to Huffington, Obama got an immediate 7 point jump in the polls. THAT’s what we call “a bump,” Mr. Rove! As quickly as these things turn, that will likely fade soon enough, but it proves we’ve got wiggle room … and Mr. Romney DOES NOT!

I have to work at the Democrat’s booth at the local Fall Festival today — blessing the grumpy, milling opposition with a bright smile and a free button. Pray for me! I’ll check in later in the afternoon.